Order No. 1988-R-1250
December 30, 1988
IN THE MATTER OF section 229 of the Railway Act, R.S.C. 1985, c. R-3; and
IN THE MATTER OF a collision which occurred at mileage 2.0 on the CN Longwood Subdivision on January 13, 1988, between passenger train VIA-72 and CN's freight train, 382-12.
File No. 39537.355
WHEREAS the National Transportation Agency (hereinafter the Agency) has adopted all of the recommendations contained in the report submitted by Mr. R.G. Learn who had been appointed to inquire into the causes and circumstances connected with the aforesaid accident.
IT IS HEREBY ORDERED THAT:
1) VIA RAIL shall ensure that all employees who are required to operate trains under the train order method of control are given proper training and have a practical understanding of the relevant rules.
2) VIA RAIL shall, within 90 days, provide the Agency with a description of the training provided pursuant to section 1 of this Order along with particulars of the occupational categories and geographic locations of employees involved in the training program.
3) VIA RAIL shall, within 15 days, explain to relevant employees the significance of signing the Appearance Register and shall inform said employees of the disciplinary sanctions that will be imposed in cases of non-compliance or in situations where untruthful declarations are made in said Register.
4) VIA RAIL shall monitor the extent of train crew compliance regarding signing of the Appearance Register and shall initiate appropriate action to enforce compliance.
5) VIA RAIL shall review the LRC door problems noted in the section 226 Accident Report and shall, within 90 days, provide the Agency with full particulars of corrective measures taken.
6) VIA RAIL shall, within 90 days, provide the Agency with a program and expeditious timetable in respect of:
(a) the stronger securement of fire extinguishers on all LRC locomotives;
(b) the securement of flagging kits on all LRC locomotives;
(c) the replacement or repair of electric refrigerators on all LRC locomotives;
(d) the restructuring of ceiling inspection panel locking devices in all LRC coaches;
(e) the restructuring of galley door locking devices in all LRC passenger cars;
(f) the replacement of the heavy OBS serving carts with carts of less weight and bulk;
(g) evaluating the adequacy of LRC locomotive shutdown devices.
7) VIA RAIL shall take appropriate action to ensure that reading materials which have no relevancy to train operation are prohibited from the operating compartment of locomotives.
8) VIA RAIL shall ensure that clock devices on event recorder equipment are calibrated to accurately reflect National Research Council time.
9) VIA RAIL shall, within 90 days, provide the Agency with full particulars of steps taken towards the implementation of section 3, 4, 7 and 8 of this Order.