Order No. 1993-R-401
December 21, 1993
IN THE MATTER OF an application by Stewart, Weir & Co. Ltd., on behalf of the Department of Transportation and Utilities of the Province of Alberta (hereinafter the applicant), pursuant to section 202 and all other relevant sections of the Railway Act, R.S.C., 1985, c. R-3, for authority to reconstruct the "highway", namely Highway No. 18, by widening it and adding a sidewalk along the north side, where it crosses at grade the track of the Canadian National Railway Company (hereinafter the railway company), at mileage 38.41 Lac La Biche Subdivision, between the southwest quarter of section 5, township 60 and the northwest quarter of section 32, township 59, range 21, west of the fourth meridian, in the county of Thorhild No. 7, in the province of Alberta, as shown on Drawing No. 21966RRX, Sheet 1 of 1, dated July 14, 1993 (hereinafter the Plan), on file with the National Transportation Agency (hereinafter the Agency).
File No. R 8050/735-038.41
WHEREAS the Agency has performed an environmental screening of the proposal pursuant to section 10 of the Environmental Assessment and Review Process Guidelines Order, SOR/84-467 (hereinafter the EARP Guidelines Order);
AND WHEREAS the Agency has determined, pursuant to paragraph 12(c) of the EARP Guidelines Order, that the potentially adverse environmental effects that may be caused by the proposal are insignificant;
AND WHEREAS the Agency has reviewed the submissions filed and takes note of the agreement of the parties.
NOW THEREFORE, IT IS ORDERED THAT:
- The applicant is authorized to carry out the work as shown on the Plan.
- The work shall be carried out and maintained in compliance with the requirements of the Agency respecting highway crossings.
- The work shall be carried out and maintained in accordance with sound environmental practice.
- The cost of reconstructing the crossing and the highway approaches to the crossing shall be paid by the applicant.
- The cost of maintaining the crossing shall be paid by the railway company.
- The cost of maintaining the highway approaches to the crossing shall be paid by the applicant.
- The railway company shall prepare all accounts using rates not in excess of those stipulated in Schedule "A" entitled Directives, attached to Agency Order No. 1993-R-29 dated February 1, 1993, or its replacement, for any construction and maintenance work carried out by the railway company pursuant to this Order.