Decision No. 565-A-1989
November 9, 1989
APPLICATION by Northwest Territorial Airways Ltd. carrying on business as NWT Air to amend Licence No. 880230:
1) by deleting the restriction to the use of propeller-driven aircraft in Groups D and F and the references to Licence Nos. 880232, 880233 and 880015;
2) by adding the authority to use fixed wing aircraft in Group E; and
3) by deleting Condition Nos. 2 and 3.
DECISION: APPLICATION APPROVED.
File No. M4205-N84-3
Docket No. 89416
Northwest Territorial Airways Ltd. carrying on business under the firm name and style of NWT Air (hereinafter the applicant) has applied to the National Transportation Agency for the amendments set out in the title. The application was received on July 12, 1989.
Under Licence No. 880230, the Licensee is authorized to operate a Class 3 Specific Point domestic service serving the points Yellowknife, Coppermine, Holman Island, Cambridge Bay, Gjoa Haven, Spence Bay, Pelly Bay, Hall Beach, Norman Wells, Wrigley and Fort Simpson, Northwest Territories; and Fort Nelson, British Columbia.
Condition Nos. 1, 2 and 3 of the licence read:
- The Licensee is authorized in its operations to use propeller-driven aircraft only in Groups D and F, being the same aircraft as are operated under Licence Nos. 880232, 880233 and 880015.
- The Licensee is required to serve one intermediate point on all flights in both directions between the points Yellowknife and Hall Beach, Northwest Territories.
- On all flights operated between Yellowknife and Norman Wells, the Licensee is required to make a mandatory stop at either Fort Simpson or Wrigley.
Notice of the application was published on July 28 and 31 and on August 1, 3 and 4, 1989 in the newspapers of the areas concerned and copies of the notice were sent to selected air carriers and to others believed to be interested. An intervention was filed in support of the addition of the aircraft in Group E. No interventions opposing the granting of the application were filed with the Agency. Accordingly, the application is hereby approved.
To make provision for the level of Class 3 service to be consistent with demand anticipated by the applicant and in accordance with the applicant's indicated intentions, the Agency finds it in the public interest to authorize the Licensee to use fixed wing aircraft in Group E.
Condition No. 1 of Licence No. 880230 is hereby amended to read:
- The Licensee is authorized to use fixed wing aircraft in Groups D, E and F.
Condition Nos. 2 and 3 of Licence No. 880230 are hereby deleted.
A new document of licence, bearing Licence No. 880230, will be issued to Northwest Territorial Airways Ltd. carrying on business under the firm name and style of NWT Air upon the applicant establishing to the satisfaction of the Agency that it meets the requirements set out in paragraph 72(2)(a) of the National Transportation Act, 1987, R.S.C., 1985, c. 28 (3rd Supp.).