Consultation on the Canadian Pacific Railway Company – Scotford Subdivision Extension
The Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA) is requesting public comments on the application by the Canadian Pacific Railway Company (CP) for approval to construct a railway line as part of an extension of its Scotford Subdivision.
The Canada Transportation Act gives the CTA the authority to approve the construction of federally-regulated railway lines.
The CTA can approve an application to construct a railway line if it determines that the location of the railway line is reasonable. The CTA takes into consideration the:
- requirements for railway operations and services; and
- interests of the localities affected by the railway line.
CP's proposed Scotford Subdivision Extension (extension) would extend its current rail service southwest of its current terminus. The extension will add 3.9 kilometres of rail to service Inter Pipeline's Heartland Petrochemical Complex which includes a facility that will process propane into polypropylene pellets. The extension will be constructed on a new right-of-way on CP's private lands.
Call for comments
You are invited to submit your comments on the following questions:
- How would the proposed railway line affect you? Describe any expected benefits or concerns that you have.
- If you have concerns, what could be done to address them?
- Do you need additional information, beyond what CP has provided in its application and supplemental documents, in order to understand how the construction and operation of the proposed railway line would affect you? Describe what type of information you require.
The deadline for submitting your written comments is the close of business on November 22, 2019.
All submissions sent to the CTA will be considered public documents. The comments, including the submitter's name, may be posted on our website unless the submitter makes a claim for confidentiality which is accepted by the CTA.
How to participate
- Application (English only, as supplied)
- Supplemental Filing #1 (English only, as supplied)
- Supplemental Filing #2 (English only, as supplied)
- Project Summary - Scotford Subdivision Extension (English only, as supplied)
- CP Commitments to Environmental Protection and Management (English only, as supplied)
CP's application is available for consultation in person at the following locations:
- Fort Saskatchewan Public Library, 10011 102 Street, Fort Saskatchewan, AB T8L 2C5
- Gibbons Public Library, 5115 51 Street, Gibbons, AB, T0A 1N0
Submissions due on November 22, 2019