Mandate, tools and values
The Agency is an independent, quasi-judicial tribunal and regulator with the powers of a superior court.
We operate within the context of the very large and complex Canadian transportation system.
The Agency exercises its powers through its Members, who are appointed by the Governor-in-Council (GIC).
What we do: our three mandates
- We help ensure that the national transportation system runs efficiently and smoothly in the interests of all Canadians: those who work and invest in it; the producers, shippers, travellers and businesses who rely on it; and the communities where it operates.
- We protect the human right of persons with disabilities to an accessible transportation network.
- We provide consumer protection for air passengers.
How we do it: our tools
To help advance these mandates, we have three tools at our disposal:
- Rule-making: We develop and apply ground rules that establish the rights and responsibilities of transportation service providers and users and that level the playing field among competitors. These rules can take the form of binding regulations or less formal guidelines, codes of practice or interpretation notes.
- Dispute resolution: We resolve disputes that arise between transportation providers on the one hand, and their clients and neighbours on the other, using a range of tools from facilitation and mediation to arbitration and adjudication.
- Information provision: We provide information on the transportation system, the rights and responsibilities of transportation providers and users, and the Agency's legislation and services.
Our Code of Values and Ethics outlines the core values and expected behaviours that guide us in all activities related to our professional duties. Our guiding values are:
- Respect for democracy.
- We uphold Canadian parliamentary democracy and promote constructive and timely exchange of views and information.
- Respect for people.
- We treat people with dignity and fairness and foster a cooperative, rewarding working environment.
- We act with honesty, fairness, impartiality and transparency.
- We use and manage our resources wisely and take full responsibility for our obligations and commitments.
- We provide the highest quality service through innovation, professionalism and responsiveness.
- Date modified: