2017 Air Transat Tarmac Delay Inquiry
CTA issues determination in Air Transat inquiry:
Determination No. A-2017-194
On August 30 and 31, 2017, the Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA) held a public hearing into the tarmac delay incidents involving two Air Transat flights on July 31, 2017.
The CTA considered two issues in this proceeding:
- Did Air Transat properly apply its Tariff during these incidents, pursuant to subsection 110(4) of the ATR?
- Are Air Transat's applicable Tariff provisions reasonable, pursuant to subsection 111(1) of the ATR?
Broader questions regarding industry-wide rules around tarmac delays were not addressed at the hearing but rather, will be dealt with through public consultations on air passenger rights regulations, which are expected to begin once the Transportation Modernization Act (Bill C-49) currently before Parliament receives royal assent.
Reports, decisions and determinations
- Determination No. A-2017-194
- Inquiry Officer’s Report Investigation of Air Transat Flight Nos. 157 and 507 Delayed on the Tarmac at Ottawa's Macdonald-Cartier International Airport on July 31, 2017
- Letter Decision No. LET-A-49-2017
- Letter Decision No. LET-A-47-2017
- Day 1 transcript
- Recording - Day 1, Part 1
- Recording - Day 1, Part 2
- Day 2 transcript
- Recording - Day 2, Part 1
- Recording - Day 2, Part 2
- Chairman's opening remarks
- Procedural Direction for Air Transat Hearing
You can also access a complete list of submissions.
- Mazen El-Bawab - Final Arguments
- Kim Leclerc-Desaulniers - Final Arguments
- Isabelle Fiset - Final Arguments
- Isabelle Archambault - Final Arguments (in French only)
- Chris Couture - Final Arguments
- Brice de Schietere - Final Arguments (in French only)
- Alan and Patricia Abraham - Final Arguments
- Air Transat - Final Arguments (in French only)
- Guidelines for the submission of comments into the CTA's Air Transat inquiry
- Air Transat response
- Canadian Transportation Agency issues determination in Air Transat inquiry – Air carrier to pay $295,000 penalty for delay of flights 157 and 507
- Media Advisory: The Canadian Transportation Agency to issue its determination from the inquiry into the Air Transat tarmac delays
- Update on the Canadian Transportation Agency's inquiry into Air Transat tarmac delays
- Media Advisory: The Canadian Transportation Agency's oral hearing into the Air Transat tarmac delays
- Notice of Oral Hearing
- Next steps of the Canadian Transportation Agency's inquiry into Air Transat's tarmac delays
- Canadian Transportation Agency launches inquiry into Air Transat tarmac delays